With sophisticated malware attacks on the rise it has never been more important to have a reliable backup solution that not only protects your data, but also the backups. It sounds confusing, but new ransomware viruses are getting smarter and have learned how to compromise backup files, leaving you in a tough situation.
Ransomware is a type of malware that prevents the user from accessing their system or data in some form and demands payment to restore the access. Malware in the form of trojans can enter a system via downloaded file, email attachment, or any other vulnerability that allows access to the system.
Most popular ways of distribution in Australia is via email links or attachments. Such emails pretend to come from legitimate service providers such as Australia Post, FedEx, Australian Federal Police, Medicare and other Government agencies. Emails are crafted to look very real to lure recipient on clicking the link or to download an attachment.
Once ransomware is in your system, the following occurs:
- It infects Windows system files to prevent access to Desktop – in some cases this stage does not occur
- It encrypts all local files and documents making them completely unusable
- Searches through the local network for any server, user and backup file shares it could encrypt and/or infect
- Displays a ransom note on user computer requesting payment to release the files
- You are required to pay Bitcoins (cryptocurrency)
Files are encrypted with a private key which only exists on the attacker’s server. Without the the payment, there is no other way to recover files.
When ransomware strikes, the only way to recover your data is to turn to your backups, but unfortunately, too often this becomes an issue.
- You never had backups – didn’t think you need them or you didn’t have the expertise to implement them
- You had backups setup some time ago, but then realised they haven’t worked for a while
- You had backups and they work as intended, but the restore is crashing or corrupted
- You had backups and they work and you could restore, but all your backup data is encrypted as well
No one cares about backups until you need to restore.
With Sydney Backups, you can forget about backups, we make sure your data is there when you need it the most.
This is how Sydney Backups solves problems:
- We setup, configure and monitor your backups 24/7
- We backup hourly to onsite and offsite secure location
- We verify every single backup file and test restores daily
- We encrypt backup files with a strong password that protects from malware
- We send daily email reports to assure backups are working